Efficacy & Tolerability
Many placebo-controlled studies have been conducted investigating the efficacy of Creon® in patients with Pancreatic Exocrine Insufficiency
(PEI).1-3 The data demonstrate that Creon® treats the symptoms of PEI and improves the nutritional status of patients with PEI and:
In all associated diseases, Creon® has been shown to:
- increase fat absorption and reduce steatorrhoea
- reduce stool frequency
- improve stool consistency
- be well tolerated
Creon® can achieve such improvements in patients with PEI because it has been developed to mimic the physiological pattern of pancreatic exocrine secretion. 4
A review of data from 15,000 patients with PEI and cystic fibrosis, chronic pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer found that side effects were present in < 1% of patients. The most commonly reported adverse reactions were gastrointestinal disorders which are mainly associated with underlying disease. According to the Creon® SPC, similar or lower incidences compared to placebo were reported for abdominal pain and diarrhoea.1-3,5
- Creon® Micro Summary of Product Characteristics. November 2016.
- Creon® 10000 Capsules Summary of Product Characteristics. January 2017.
- Creon® 25000 Capsules Summary of Product Characteristics. January 2017.
- Domínguez-Muñoz JE et al. Adv Med Sci. 2011; 56(1): 1-5.
- Imrie CW et al. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 32(Suppl1): 1-25.
- Toouli J et al. Med J Aust. 2010; 193(8): 461-7.