Dosing & administration in children
Creon® 10,000 and Creon® Micro (5,000 lipase units per 100 mg scoop) allow you to prescribe a smaller dose to babies and younger children.
DOSING WITH CREON MICRO
- Initially 100 mg of Creon® Micro (one measure equal to 5,000 lipase units) should be taken with each feed or meal1
- Dose increases, if required, should be added slowly with careful monitoring of response and symptoms1
- Titrate dose upwards as necessary to control symptoms and achieve adequate weight gain2
- Doses should not exceed 10,000 units of lipase/kg/day1
Administration of Creon® Micro
- In young infants: Creon® Micro granules should be mixed with a small amount of apple juice and given from a spoon directly before the feed1
- In weaned infants: granules should be taken with acidic liquids or soft foods (e.g. mixed with apple juice or apple puree), but without chewing, directly before the meal1
- The apple juice should not be diluted1
- Granules can be mixed with a small amount of milk and administered to the infant immediately1
- The granules should not be added to the baby's bottle1
- Crushing and chewing of the minimicrospheres or mixing with food or fluid with a pH greater than 5.5 can disrupt the protective enteric coating. This can result in early release of enzymes in the oral cavity and may lead to reduced efficacy and irritation of the mucous membranes1
- Once mixed, give directly from a spoon ensuring that the infant swallows all the granules immediately and none are left on their infant’s face, around their mouth, or in their gums1
Dosing with Creon® 10,000
- Initially one or two capsules with each meal.
- Dose increases, if required, should be added slowly, with careful monitoring of response and symptomatology.
Administration of Creon® capsules
- Encourage young children to swallow the capsules whole as early as they can, or
- Open the capsule and mix the granules with acidic liquids or soft food1,3
- Care should be taken to ensure that no product is retained in the mouth.
As children grow they are likely to increase their Creon® dose and take more capsules per meal. To help improve compliance and efficacy and to minimise pill burden, consider moving children to Creon® 25,000 capsules.
- Creon® Micro Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5564/smpc. Last accessed: December 2023
- Munck A. Nutritional considerations in patients with cystic fibrosis. Expert Rev Resp Med. 2010; 4(1) 47-56.
- Creon® 10000 Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1167/smpc. Last accessed: December 2023
- Phillips ME, et al. Consensus for the management of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency: UK practical guidelines. BMJ Open Gastroenterology. 2021; 8:e000643.